Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Drivel Over Coffee 280 9/29/2015


“When you come to a fork in the road, take it.” Yogi Berra

...And I am so sad today. We lost one of the great baseball players and most colorful people I have known in my lifetime. Yogi Berra was a catcher for the New York Yankees. He played on 10 world championship teams and 14 pennant winners in 17 full seasons. Played in 75 World Series games. Three-time Most Valuable Player (1951, 1954, 1955). Never finished lower than fourth in MVP voting from 1950-57. Led American League catchers in home runs and RBI in each of nine straight seasons (1949-1957). Selected to play in 15 successive All-Star Games. Played outfield early and late in his career, a total of 260 games. Hit the first pinch hit home run in World Series history (1947). Caught at least 100 games in 10 seasons, and caught both games of 117 doubleheaders. Became one of only four catchers to have a 1.000 fielding percentage for the season (1958).

Maybe he will be also remembered for this unique use of the English language. He had a way of realigning and mis-using words to get his message across. I have a few listed below.

The future ain't what it used to be.
It ain't over till it's over.
You can observe a lot by watching.
It's Deja vu all over again.
A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
I never said most of the things I said.
Little league is great, it keeps the parents off the streets.
"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did."
"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical."
"He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious."
"How can you hit and think at the same time?"
"I always thought that record would stand until it was broken."
"I don't know (if they were men or women fans running naked across the field). They had bags over their heads."
"If people don't want to come out to the ballpark, how are you going to stop them?"
"It ain't the heat, it's the humility."
"It gets late early out there."
"Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded."
"Take it with a grin of salt."
"The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase."
"You should always go to other people's funerals, otherwise, they won't come to yours."
"We made too many wrong mistakes."

Our house has had 2 black pugs (Barney and Max) from Thursday to Sunday. Yes, it was Debby's, the younger elder, annual sojourn to Cranfest in Wisconsin. She trekked up with about 10 to 12 of her closest Cranfesters. Each year has a theme and this year did not disappoint. They dressed as minions and hit Cranfest with a theme of “One in a Minion”. Very cute. The chief driveller, me, successfully managed two dogs with boundless energy and one dog with lots of energy with only two working legs. I managed to wear them out according to my “One in a Minion”. Job well done.

Yesterday was a meaningful day here are the Drivel household. Our front door who had been with us since September 1976 has opened us up to the great outdoors for its last time. It is going to where all great front doors go – the dump. Not an elegant way to spend eternity but at least he won't be alone. He left us with dignity and poise. After saying a few word over him in the front yard he is gone. We don't see that type of thing on Hysteria Lane too often. I took a picture and emailed to the local TV station like they always tell you to do. They didn't feel it had broad enough appeal and deleted it just like that. On a brighter note, the new replacement looks stunning and I am certain that it will serve us well. Murphy has not “christened” it yet but has been practicing frequently in the back yard.

Today is World Heart Day and is part of an international campaign to spread awareness about heart disease and stroke prevention. This is the perfect day to quit smoking, get exercising and start eating healthy – all in the name of keeping your ticker in good working order, and improving the health and well-being of people the world over.

My current wife and I journeyed to Dubuque on Sunday to attend a picnic celebration for the pending wedding of Sven's brother and future sister in law. It ran from noon to 4:00. They had a great spread of food and desserts plus a bunch of fun time. We, of course, in our usual ineptness managed to arrive around 2:30. It was at Eagle River Park, I think that was the name. Very nice and very scenic. I watched a barge going through a lock. Don't know just how they do that but they do it. Chef Sven and Chef Jen prepared a ton of pulled pork that was Fantastic. I tried to eat my fill without drawing too much attention. Just wish I had more time to munch and visit. B & H were great hosts. Daughter Deb rewarded our babysitting with handmade butter, a bag of enormous honey crisp apples, 10 year old cedar cheese, hulless popcorn, and apple cider donuts. Pretty good haul for sure. Thanks a bunch.

There was a story going around about a blonde woman who was speeding down the road in her little red sports car. She was pulled over by a woman police officer, who was also a blonde. The blonde cop asked to see the blonde driver's license. She dug through her purse and was getting progressively more agitated. What does it look like? “It's square and it has your picture on it.” The driver finally found a square mirror in her purse, looked at it and handed it to the policewoman. “Here it is,” she said. The blonde officer looked at the mirror, then handed it back saying, “OK, you can go. I didn't realize you were a cop...”

I am getting really irritated with our local Mercy Hospital. I get these bills from them as part of my radiation therapy which was covered by the VA. Bills for physical therapy and now speech therapy. I did not agree to or authorize either of these services and they were never presented to be outside of the VA regime. I think it is a pretty sleazy way of them trying to get more money in the process. Really bush league if you ask me. I had better run, I feel a phone call is in order.

Stay well, "OLD FRIEND!" It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived. If I can make at least one person smile, or laugh till they leak, then my day was not wasted. Now, until we meet again. -TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment