Tuesday, April 12, 2011

DIY - NITL - Huh?

Confused?  So am I.  More about the title later.  These past few days have been hectic.  To start with the Grand Pugs were at the fitness center from Thursday to Sunday afternoon.  The trainers really worked them out during this time.  The weather being nice, they were outside most of the time.  They ran laps, played tug of war, went for walks and used the solar suntan beds.  We equipped them with paw weights.  They didn't really like these.  I had pug tongues hanging out each day.  I took them on a road trip to Kinnick's house on Saturday.  They played with Kinnick outside most of the afternoon.  He was showing them some of the exercises he has to do at the fitness center.  Max didn't think it was too bad but Barney wanted nothing to do with them.  I took them home Sunday afternoon.  I really didn't think I would ever see these dogs completely exhausted to the point that they couldn't wait to get back home but this was the time.  They couldn't get out of the car and into the house fast enough.  I think their stay got them on track to lose some weight they gained over the winter if I can keep them motivated.  Pugs don't have the longest retention span.

I have had several opportunities to exhibit my handyman prowess.  I installed a new bathroom exhaust fan.  Not a small feat for one person working entirely from the bathroom.  I never went to the attic.  Got to admire my strategy.  True to the handyman code I subscribe to I made my customary 3 trips to the hardware store.  This project only required 7 1/2 hours.

Next on the list was the scraping of paint around windows at Jenny's house.  I re-introduced myself to paint scrapers of one kind and another.  This was also an all day endeavor.  Seeing as how the house is for sale there are a couple outside jobs waiting for decent weather more or less.  We have been pushing the weather as best as we can.  Sunday was an open house hence the reason to get the scraping & painting done on Saturday.  We still have a little more to do but not critical at this point.

Secondly, we embarked on the front and side door steps and railings.  The railings had been removed a few days ago.  Next we had to remove the outdoor carpet from these steps.  Whew, this is harder than scraping paint by a long shot.  I managed to break a corner of the concrete step at the side door.  Crap!  Again, I am true to the handyman creed - "Always cause more work than required."  First thing this morning I was off to Menards to get some kind of concrete repair stuff to fix my handy work.  Am I a happy camper?  You can answer that on your own.

Last night as I was relaxing from the day,  I read that my neighbor, H, was bragging about her completion of a replacement of a light receptacle.  The house didn't burn down and she didn't get electrocuted.  Very good job.  I would like to get her over to work on my exhaust fan.  Oh, did I forget to say that the fan part works great.  Unfortunately, the light does not work.  I can't find my troubleshooting hat which might be a good thing.

Oh, I almost forgot. The title above lists a couple of acronyms.  The first one, DIY, many of you will know right off.  It stands for "Do It Yourself".  The handyman creed I subscribe to endorses this concept.  The second acronym, NITL, is a little less known.  It translates to "Not In This Lifetime".   I have decided to adopt this into my own handyman creed.  Do It Yourself - Not In This Lifetime!!!!  I'm finished with all of it.  BTW, by the way, I have a plethora of tools for sale.  Make an offer.

Truly a sad day when, at the age of 65, I still haven't found my calling in life.  As my French Roast induced euphoria begins to wear off and reality begins settling in, I think it time to bid you a fond farewell for today.  TA!

Postscript: It was nice to see MacBlu, another neighbor, out tending to his yard and flowers.  He suffered a mild stroke around Thanksgiving the year last.  Seems to be getting along really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment