Friday, September 3, 2010

Fry-Fest Friday

Yeah! Iowa Hawkeye football season is almost upon us. First game is tomorrow against some junior college. Today is Fry-Fest. Coach Hayden Fry, a legend in Iowa, has his own day long party.  Tonight there will be an attempt to set a record for the most people doing the “Hokey-Pokey” at one time. The Hokey-Pokey is a dance that Fry made his football players perform in the locker room after a victory.  Just goes to show you how extremely starved we are for entertainment in Iowa. We will, of course, take in all of the festivities, tailgating and game. You see my current wife and I are no doubt the MOST starved Iowans. I know because we won a contest. No just kidding! I think.

Boy that French roast is good this morning.  Action has been hot and heavy here at Grandpa Bailey’s Spoiled Dog & Canasta Club. Recently, we were able to organize a canasta league. Can you believe it? It was really an undertaking. It is called “Etavirp”.  For those of you that are unfamiliar with “Etavirp”  it is the word “Private” spelled backwards. Clever, huh? We have 4 tables with 4 players each. They rotate and earn prizes for the best AND worst players. Prizes can’t be more than $3.29 in value. This is high stakes canasta.  Remember me mentioning just how we are struggling for entertainment in the Midwest.

The Club is also busy booking puppy stays for the Sept., Oct., Nov. and Dec. We have the usual evening stays booked – usually the pugs. My “Peeps” are working on some bigger deals. The Lab – Kinnick may actually be with us for an extended stay. Still in negotiations. Seems as though someone in Lacrosse Wisconsin thought it would be a great idea to have a Cranberry Festival. Whaaa! Heard about everything now. Daughter, oops forgot her number, Debby seems to be excited about a 4 day romp through cranberry bogs. Did I mention how boring it is here in Iowa? Yes, Barney and Max, the pugs have booked with us for those 4 days. Oh boy, I hope they remember their sleeping assignments.

I made a command decision a while back and have added limo service to the club. Cost is relatively inexpensive. Kinnick has me booked for this evening. He usually needs me a couple of times a week.  He has also requested an evening with us. It has been a while. Should be a hoot.

Well, the French roast is gone for this morning and so is my drivel. Wish me luck with my roaring next couple of days. Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment