Saturday, September 11, 2010

Football Saturday

With the second cup of coffee in hand, I took my laptop out on the patio to revel in the late summer/early fall Iowa morning. Cool with no breeze, no bugs, birds chirping. It just doesn’t get any better.

I’m preparing, mentally, for a big football Saturday. It is In-State rivalry day with Iowa State coming to our house. Kick-off at 2:30. Should be a fun game. The tailgating madness has started already I’m sure. Not engrossed by all of that any more. In a younger life form, I enjoyed early morning partying as much as anyone.

Gutters are being installed today. A few years ago we had new siding installed on our house. In my infinite wisdom and typical male testosterone induced stupor, I had the old gutters taken down and disposed of. You see I was going to have new ones installed. Ones with the screens or something on top to keep the leaves out. Weeeelllllll, little did I know the cost of this type of gutter was a bit more than the budget would allow. Usual lack of planning. Fast forward to today. I have scoured consumer reports and low and behold, the commercial gutter covers are NOT recommended. Instead the ones you install yourself  are the best solution. That changes the whole budget dynamic. So, new gutters. Will get to the covers sometime.

Went to Sears the other day. Had oil changed and tires rotated. While waiting, I shopped around a bit. I eventually settled in the men’s department and specifically the sock racks. I have searched for at least 2 years to find white gym socks like they used to make. You know the ones with little elastic around the top so they will slide down to your ankles. Can’t find them – nowhere. At Sears they come close with their Silver-toe line. Now they have a style the isn’t as short as the tennis sock and not as tall as the crew ones. Kind of in between. I decided these were for me, being vertically challenged you know. Grab the package and off to the nearest checkout counter. Good no one ahead of me. I stand there. A worker is sitting at a desk about 8 feet from the cash  register. She is seemingly oblivious that human life exists in the men’s department. I politely clear my throat, hum a song, squeak my tennies on the floor, sneeze, and cough to no avail. She never looks up. After 10 minutes, I trek all the way to the opposite end of the store to find a clerk. Had I not had my shorts in a bunch for these socks, they would still be sitting on the first counter. Oh well, its a great day to know that indeed incompetence flourishes. Always on the lookout.

Oops, the gutter guy is here. Gotta tell him what to do, showing where the eaves are and such. Have a great weekend and sip a French roast for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment